Wednesday 12 July 2017

Knitscene Fall 2017: A Review


Knitscene has released their Fall 2017 issue. Let's have a look at it, shall we?





All Spice Cardigan. Sometimes in my reviews I say an item looks like it belongs to an exhausted and depressed homeschooling mother of seven. This is definitely a design from that look book. In this case, mom has not bothered even to dress, but simply threw a shapeless, stretched out, baggy sweater on over her nightgown, and by the end of the day it'll have pablum and peanut butter smeared on it somewhere.





Arkins Poncho. I'm not a big poncho fan, but this sits fairly well, and that stitchwork is fantastic.





Ashes Cardigan. This looks like a not particularly happy marriage between an 1980s Shaker knit and 1990s grunge style.





Blake Shawl. And here we have the cover design. The texture's great.





Brighton Hat. Cute cap.





Chili Pepper Cardigan. The stitchwork around the front edges and cuffs is lovely, and it's pretty well-shaped, but it does concern me that the model is pulling or holding the edges in place in every shot.





Cranberries Cardigan. This has such an awkward, lumpy look.





Fleet Cardigan. This looks baggy and as though the knitter who made it didn't quite have enough yarn to knit a full-length band around the front edges and decided to make do and pass it off as a design feature.





Hills Cardigan. This sweater, which is worked in two flat pieces, presents as combination of a shawl on top and a cardigan down below. And I like the concept, but I do wish the lower half of the cardigan fit better.





Logan Mitts. A simple, useful pair of mitts.





October Cardigan. This one looks as though it was pieced together out of scraps of knitting.





Seeds Cardigan. This one wouldn't be so bad if the dropped shoulders were fixed, but it's nothing special either.





Walnut Cowl. I like the texture on this, but don't like those unfinished, curling edges. I'd put a seed stitch border on this cowl.





Weston Socks. Classic pair of ankle socks. Which I would not pair with a pair of ankle strap stilettos.





White Smoke Cardigan. Some beautiful detailing on this one. The back looks great. I still wish the body were a bit better shaped, but out of an issue of inexplicably frumpy cardigans, this one is the best.





Wynkoop Cuffs. These boot cuffs aren't bad so far as their cables and ribbing goes, but putting fringe on boot cuffs will make the wearer look as though she's recently been wading shin-deep in a swarm of rats.

5 comments:

  1. I agree with everything you say here- plus I find the colors sad and muddy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! One cute hat and one ok cardigan will Not be enough to sell this issue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a bleak collection. The editors clearly need anti-depressants.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the "All Spice Sweater for all the reasons that you use to disparage it. It's exactly what I'd reach for when I want to feel cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to disagree. I LOVE the All Spice Cardigan. This is something you'd see hanging in a department store by Acne Studios, Theory or Vince for over $400. Maybe the styling is off, but it is a piece that could be worn anytime, anywhere and I think it's very timeless. I'm planning on knitting this in a dove gray and wear it all winter!

    ReplyDelete