Monday 10 October 2016

Interweave Knits, Holiday 2016: A Review


Interweave Knits has released their Holiday 2016 issue. Let's have a look at it, shall we?





Knotted Mittens. I do love Celtic knots, and it's not often one sees them on mittens. As an aside, I am suddenly consumed with the desire to buy a tartan down vest.





Montgolfier Hat. Classic cabled hat.





Entwined Capelet. The intertwined cabled pattern is well worked out, and this cape is so well-shaped that it hangs beautifully.





Mason's Hat. Another handsome cap.





Mason's Scarf. A classic scarf to go with the cap just above.





Traveler's Socks. Oooh, wouldn't I love to have these in my sock drawer on some cold winter's day.





Nested Knot's Hat. Quite like this one, with that unique-looking band around the bottom.





Traverse Mitts. A good-looking pair of mitts.





Snowman Family. I've seen cuter snowman families. The button on the front looks random and pointless, the arms don't look right (snowman have short, straight stick arms, not long curved ones), and the snowmen need hats and possibly noses.





Reindeer Woods Blanket. The colour scheme could have been better planned, but otherwise this is quite a desirable piece. I like the whimsical border pattern, and it was a smart idea to line this piece as the chartwork won't look good from the wrong side, and it will also make it warmer and help it keep its shape.





Moccasocks. Very inventive and striking.





Latvian Mittens. So pretty, and I love the muted colourways.





Ho! Ho! Ho! Christmas Stockings. I'm not sure how much I like the "ho ho ho" sections of this stocking, as they look rather muddled to me, graphically speaking. Otherwise the design is quite attractive and the stocking looks as though it would hold a decent amount of goodies and trinkets, which is very much to the point when it comes to providing a stocking for Santa to fill.





Deep Winter Stole. Oh my goodness. I would find this piece too large to wear and would use it as an afghan instead, but is it ever a fantastically gorgeous piece of lacework.





Mantilla Stole. Another very impressive piece of lacework.





Shetland Shawl. Exquisite.





Windsor Vest. A fairly classic vest done in an offbeat colour scheme. Changing up a fair isle's colour palette like this is a good way to make a fair isle design look fun and current for a child.





Little Snowflake Sweater. This is so perfect I may just have to make it for my grandnephew. It's very clever of the designer to have put the snowflake bands on the sleeves rather than across the chest as per usual.





Tiny Tidings Overalls. This is a little too "odd droopy drawers" for my liking. It looks like something this area mom would have come up with.





Schoolwalk Cap. I'm not a big fan of the Peruvian Cap for non-Peruvians, but it is cute on a child. This is reversible, which should help a bit with keeping the cap presentable between washes as well as making it warmer.





Stirling Sweater. Nice piece. I like the detail around the neck and the cuffs.





Little Badger Girl Pinafore. I can't say I find this jumper pleasing. It has a certain crudeness and lumpiness to it.





The Hat Stocking. Strikingly attractive.





Wee Mittens. Cute, although anything on this small a scale generally is cute.





Norwegian Mittens. Some impressively intricate chartwork on these.





Balmoral Dress. I very much like the chartwork on the hem and the pockets, but the neck and armhole edgings have a rough look to them. I think I'd do this one in a finer yarn (it's a worsted) and add sleeves for a more polished look.

No comments:

Post a Comment