Wednesday 25 June 2014

Knitscene Fall 2014: A Review


Knitscene has released its Fall 2014 issue. Knitscene has taken a turn for the classic with this issue, and added some good menswear. Let's have a look at it, shall we?





The Dauphine Cardigan. Classic cardigan with a bit of a twist in its play of cables.





This is the Clocktower Kimono. I quite like this piece. It's got a seventies retro vibe, and yet it feels very 2014, and it also has a certain relaxed elegance.





The Dauphine Hat. Clever design of interlacing cables.





The Steampunk Pullover. I like this pullover, but I'm not sure if your average steampunk aficionado will. Steampunkers are given to sniffing that sticking gears all over things do not make them steampunk, and given that this is otherwise a modern sweater with a gears motif, it might not pass muster. It does with me, as this is a striking design cleverly worked out, and the overall shape is good.





Deer Isle Pullover. Solid classic piece.





The Block Island Sweater. I quite like this one, but the dirty-looking colourway here is really pretty awful. I had to squint at the pictures to make out the details. In an attractive colourway this sweater will really sing.





The East Neuk Hoodie. This is an updated take on the guernsey with a lot of surprise details in it, including pattern on the back of the shoulders and hood and elbow patch detailing. Nice work.





The Bournemouth Cardigan. Not too thrilled with this one. It's fine in general, but those pockets bother me visually. They look too much like they should be top opening pockets.





The Plum Island Pullover. The female counterpart to the Deer Island Pullover, which works just as well for women. I take it we're going with a hunter/gatherer gender divide in the names?





The Rockland Socks. It's hard to go wrong with a classic cabled sock.





The Eastbourne Sweater. This isn't a bad piece overall, but I'm really not liking those sleeves. The fullness combined with the length is so unflattering. At that width I'd make the sleeves full-length or shorten them to a cap length. Alternatively, if you want to stick with the elbow length, make the sleeve more fitted.





The Kittery Hat. This designer has translated a traditional guernsey stitch pattern into colourwork, and it's worked out quite well. I like the finishing touch of a line of red around the edge. Nice piece.





The Vista Scarf. The texture of this piece is so visually satisfying and polished that it needs no other details.





The Lory Shawl. A simple piece with a bit of contemporary appeal in the raised rib pattern.





The Stout Scarf. Classic houndstooth scarf. It might be fun to try making this one in an offbeat colourway.





The Larimer Scarf. Nice piece if you (or the intended wearer) can handle the bulk.





The Roslyn Farm Scarf. As a Canadian, all I can think when I look at this piece is that I would have called it the Canadian Tire Scarf, as it looks like a free promotional item featuring the Canadian Tire logo. It's not a bad piece in its own right. I wouldn't do it in red and green, though, as that is both too Canadian Tire and too Christmassy.





The Soldier Canyon Scarf. Very attractive and wearable classic scarf.





The Baleshare Cardigan. This sits so badly, flopping and sagging all over, that even the model isn't able to make it work. Was this sweater named the Baleshare cardigan because one is supposed to share it with a bale of hay?





The Glenveagh Mitts. Cute, fairly basic little fingerless mitts. I would have some fun with my yarn and button choices with this pattern in order to punch up the look a little.





The Callanish Cardigan. I think I would make this one as a single-breasted design. Double breasted designs are always so limiting because they don't look good worn open and aren't comfortable to sit in when buttoned up. I do like the design otherwise. Jacket styling is tricky in knitwear because knits don't quite have the properties to make design elements like a notched collar sit just right, but this designer has managed fairly well. The button cuff detailing is a nice touch.





The Bluestack Sweater. Oh, I like this one! Very eyecatching graphic design and I like the drawstring details at neck and cuffs. I'm not sold on the colourway but it would be a lot of fun to come up with my own.





The Ballyshannon Cardigan is another solid classic piece with its shawl collar and back cabled panel. The owner of this sweater will get lots of wear out of it.





The Berneray Pullover. And a final fine classic piece, with a bit of added distinction in the slightly different stitchwork used in the collar, cuffs, and hem.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I like that Berneray pullover! I also just love your reviews.

    ReplyDelete