Friday 28 February 2014

Knitter's Magazine 114: A Review


Knitter's Magazine has released Issue 114. Let's have a look at it, shall we?





The Sand Pebbles vest. I rather like the texture of this, but it's definitely on the shapeless and bulky side. I wonder what it looks like buttoned up. Those hairs on the sweater aren't adding much to the effect, but who am I to judge? There are a number of cat hairs visible on my project pictures.





The Majestic Tank. The model is kind of working this, but it still looks like it shrunk in the wash, and for most women it's unwearable. Lengthened by about a foot, it could be a pretty sleeveless top. The yarn and lace employed here are rather attractive.





The Aria cardigan. I absolutely love the texture of this cardigan, but it is just so shapeless that it's not even doing anything for this model. I'd use that yarn and stitch on another cardigan pattern.





The Letter Perfect vest. I always do have a hard time reviewing open-front cardigans and vests. I can't get past the conviction that they're going to look shapeless and frumpy on most women. This looks good until we get down to chest level and then... I just want to make it more fitted and buttoned through the body. I do quite like this fresh, bright colourway.





The Streamlines shawl. Now here's something different from all those pretty but run-of-the-mill lace shawls. This is one very cool, modern shawl. I think it would be impossible not to notice this piece if I saw it on someone.





The Blurred Lines top. This isn't a badly designed piece at all (those stripes are quite interesting and creative), but the design does look undeservedly bland and frumpy in this sample knit. I'd shorten the sleeves a few inches and go with a sharper, more interesting colourway.





The Tulips Tunic. Sheer lace (and this lace pattern is lovely) does make a drapey style easier to wear. I don't care for the styling here though. I'd wear this over a simple fitted dress, as though it were an alternative to a lace shawl. And I would shorten the sleeves. That just above the elbow length is difficult to pull off.





Chevron Skirt. Oh honey, I know your grandma made this for you for Christmas out of one of her rec room afghans, and that you really love your grandma, but seriously, you don't need to actually wear it. If your grandma thinks this is attractive, she probably also thinks the Cold War is still on and you can tell her it came in handy as part of your bomb shelter wardrobe stockpile.





Daring Dashes top. Hmm. I'm not crazy about this, but I suppose it isn't terrible. I'm trying to figure out what the model has on underneath this top that would show black around the waist and near the shoulders but is looking like skin tone at the chest and midriff. A solid colour tank top would be the best under layer for this top, and I'd make sure that it was of a tone to work with whatever the knitter chose for the single-ply dashes. Black and dark purple really don't do anything for each other.





The Blue Helix sweater. Quite like this one. I do wish there were better or other views of it though. It's hard to get an idea of how something flatters or looks from just a side view.





The Mesa Tee. A nice-looking top with a definite southwestern vibe.





The Lolita sweater. I rather like this one. Not all women care to bare their midriffs of course, but the top has enough going on that it could be made with a straight, full-length hem in front rather than this curved and cropped one, and still be an interesting look. I like the idea of contrasting colours in the ribbing.





Ombre Fans afghan. Very pretty, and a great way to showcase a variegated or hand-dyed yarn.





Flashes and Dashes top. This is pretty, but it does fit like a Hefty bag. I'd make it standard fit.





The Flip Side pullover. This is an attractive and interestingly textured sweater.





The Lucerne vest. This is a polished, classic piece that will never go out of style.





The Slip Shape top. This is quite a smart graphic effect and has a good shape. I'm envisioning this top in a number of bright, pretty colourways. (Not that there's anything wrong with gray and white — I just can't wear it myself.)

No comments:

Post a Comment