Thursday 28 February 2013

I May Not Hear Wedding Bells, But I Think I See One


I've been seeing this... creation.... in my random image Googles search results for awhile now. I thought it was one of those runway creations that are purely for spectacle. Turns out this a knitted wedding dress from Yves Saint Laurent's Fall/Winter 1965 collection.





I have no idea if anyone actually bought into this idea and wore this in her wedding. It looks like a wedding dress version of the burqa, one that daringly shows the face as a tantalizing preview of the wedding night. I suppose the one good thing about this design is that the bride will not only feel any need to diet for her wedding day, but that she'll feel it's a sign that she can eat all the creamsicles she wants.

But this is one of those designs that make me feel designers really are actually fucking with us and trying to find out just how much we'll pay them to make us look like idiots. I mean... this is more than a little phallic, isn't it? Mightn't that be a subtle clue of some sort?

3 comments:

  1. Amazing that it's out of past history like that, and yes very phallic but it was designed by a male as a wedding dress, keep the "little woman" very under wraps, also very novice "nun-like" and hence virginal.
    Quite horrific really considering the whole aspect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yves Saintt-Laurent? Must be a misprint. It's definitely Scott Adams. I always wondered what Dilbert's bride would wear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like a giant product from the feminine hygiene aisle! Not something men want anything to do with!

    ReplyDelete