Saturday 5 January 2013

From the "Not All Vintage Is Good Vintage" File


I often say how much I love vintage patterns, and how fascinating I find these remnants of the past, but this isn't to be interpreted to mean I love all of them, nor that I'm one of those who go on about how much I'd like to live in the past. I feel very fortunate to live in a time in which we not only have an unprecedented standard of living but an unprecedented access to the best design, art, music, inventions and scientific discoveries produced by past generations. We're free to incorporate the greatest achievements of the past into contemporary daily life, and to ignore the rest as outdated and irrelevant. And we take it all so for granted that I don't think we can begin to realize just how fortunate we are.

Coming up: Look for the Knitty Winter 2012 Issue review, which is scheduled for posting tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Where the heck did you find that image? I can only imagine what would happen if you tried publishing that now!

    In "the good old days", we didn't have car seats, bike helmets, elbow and knee pads for skating, etc. I am amazed we survived!

    ReplyDelete